1. Home
  2.  ► 
  3. Family Law
  4.  ► Brad Pitt is upset about child custody issues

Brad Pitt is upset about child custody issues

On Behalf of | May 3, 2021 | Family Law |

Florida residents who are fans of Hollywood superstars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie no doubt know that the two have gone round and round in court since they decided to file for divorce. For a while, it seemed that the former couple had resolved their child custody issues. Now, however, Pitt says that he believes a shared custody agreement would be best, but Jolie has requested sole custody of their children.

Several of Pitt’s kids have severed ties

Pitt and Jolie’s eldest child is a 19-year-old son, who chose to not continue an active relationship with Pitt after his parents decided to split up. He recently testified in court on Jolie’s behalf. He also informed the court that he is dropping his father’s name from his currently hyphenated surname, Jolie-Pitt.

Allegations of domestic violence

Pitt and Jolie’s son did not specifically accuse his father of domestic violence. However, Jolie has done so and has offered to provide the court with evidence to substantiate her claims. Those who have followed this child custody battle may recall that Jolie made similar allegations against Pitt in the past, which the court found to be lacking in evidence.

Parenting style differences versus child custody problems

Like Pitt and Jolie, many Florida parents might disagree about issues in a divorce. Having different parenting styles is one thing but encountering ongoing child custody problems is another, such as one parent accusing the other of domestic violence. Whether both parents must be consulted regarding decisions about religion, education, health care or activities of their children depends on who has legal custody in a divorce. If the court has ordered shared custody, then both parents typically have equal decision-making authority. A concerned parent who believes a co-parent is disregarding a court order or is acting in a way that is detrimental to his or her children may seek the court’s intervention to help resolve the issue.